Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spaghetti Squash


I've been hearing people talk about Spaghetti Squash, and the other day I figured I would give the recipe a try.  It tastes very similar to pasta, but you're actually eating just a plate full of vegetables (squash is a vegetable right?) So instead of Penne a la Vodka, you have Spaghetti a la Squash :)


You can buy Spaghetti Squash in the produce section at most any grocery store.  To start, you cut the squash in half. 


Then you put the Squash in a microwaveable dish with about a half inch of water, and you microwave it on high for about 12 minutes.  You can also boil the squash in water for about 20 minutes. 


Next, take a fork and remove all the seeds from the squash.  I would also recommend taking out the gooshy mush on the top of the squash with the seeds - I didn't do this and they added a bit of a strange flavor. 


Then you take a fork and shred out all of the squash into the warm water.  The squash should scrape out fairly easily and break off into pieces that look similar to spaghetti.


Then I added some olive oil and mixed it into the spaghetti squash and re-heated it for a little bit.  Then I added some Vodka sauce to the top of the dish.


And voila! Spaghetti A LA Vodka is served!  I would recommend adding some shredded chicken in with the dish for some protein as well. It was a great healthy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment