Monday, February 18, 2013

Brussels Sprouts


My latest trick in the kitchen is brussels sprouts.  Before I moved to NYC I don't think I'd ever really tried (or at least tried and enjoyed) brussels sprouts.  Then once I moved up here, the brussels sprouts they serve taste like candy - they seriously melt in your mouth.  I've learned that there are two key ingredients in the delicious brussels sprouts they make up here: balsamic vinegar and bacon :)


I've learned to love brussels sprouts prepared many different ways - but these ingredients combine to my favorite recipe yet.  I know that its cheating a little to use bacon bits its instead of freshly cooked bacon - but  to save time it works pretty well and tastes great.  



Cut off the brown ends of the brussels sprouts and pull of any excess yellow outer leaves.  I prefer to pan fry them - it makes them crispy and is a fast and easy method.  Coat the pan in olive oil and the chopped garlic.  Add the brussels sprouts, balsamic vinegar and bacon bits.  As you cook them, add some salt and pepper. Make sure the sprouts are coated - I like lots of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and I like to cook them until they are well done / crispy - and then serve immediately.  They also do pretty well as leftovers. 


And voila!  A full and colorful plate - here I had chicken, rice and some yogurt and pineapple. 

I hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!! You'll have to come over and i'll cook some once you get over being tired of eating them haha. XO

    ReplyDelete