My roommate and I probably buy hummus every single week, which can add up. It's just one of those things that everybody seems to like these days (see here for reference).
So I thought I'd try making it from scratch. All together the ingredients were about $4, and we are going to being eating our weight in hummus for about the next month from how much it made. This would be a great recipe if you needed to make something for a big party.
Ingredients:
2 cans of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
(keep the liquid from can, for only one of the cans)
3-5 tablespoons of lemon juice (I used one whole lemon)
1 - 2 tablespoons of tahini
4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Total Time: 10 minutes
I followed this recipe here which says the order of adding ingredients matters. It is important to add the lemon juice and tahini first, and stir them completely. Then you can add the remaining ingredients in whichever way you want. It's important to let the blender run for a full minute or so between ingredients - this makes for a smoother hummus.
Ta da! We now have about a month's worth of hummus!
(Pictured above, my cute blurry roommate enjoying our fresh hummus. we forgot to get pita chips, but it was so good we didn't mind eating it by the spoonful :)

No comments:
Post a Comment