Monday, January 20, 2014

Slow Cooking Wintertime Recipes


Yesterday, I dusted off the tiny crock pot that my mom gave me a few years ago, and I decided to put it to use for the first time ever.  I've always heard people rave about crock pots and how much they love them and how they "do all the work for you", but the whole process seemed a little intimidating to me.  I decided to start with something basic, chicken.


I've used a similar chicken recipe to this one when I cook chicken in a pan over the stove.  But in the crock pot, the chicken turns out much more moist and flavorful. 

Ingredients: 
4 or 5 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (I used frozen ones from whole foods, but any are great)
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup honey (I like a lot of honey :) but add the honey to your taste preference)
1 to 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste


Directions:
Pour the olive oil on the bottom of the slow cooker.  Then salt and pepper each breast, and add the chicken into the crock pot.  Pour the balsamic vinegar, honey, and chopped garlic cloves on top. Mix around in the pot just a little bit.  Cook on high for 4 hours. 


I left my apartment to go to the gym and run some errands, and when I came back - exactly four hours later - the apartment was smelling wonderful and the chicken was perfectly cooked!  One thing to note about chicken (and I guess any meat cooked in a crock pot?) is that is shreds up so easily.  I ran my fork through the meat, and it broke so nicely into shredded pieces. 


Which made it just perfect for tacos! (I had corn tortillas, cheese, salsa, and I used greek yogurt instead of sour cream - which might sound gross but it tastes the exact same).  I also hope to use the same chicken this week for a salad, and on top of a pasta dish.  


I hope you enjoy!

PS: In case you're interested, a few more recipes on the blog here, here, here, here and here.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh Kate good job!!! I'm definitely going to try this - Thank you for sharing! I have a crock pot but have only used it once too (made beef stew) - This looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete