Guess who I ran into today? Yep, Louis CK was walking down my street in the east village this morning, and we shared a moment (we exchanged smiles, but still).
If you haven't seen this video yet where he talks humorously about being alone with your feelings without cell phones, I highly recommend it. He says that fearing to feel certain unpleasant emotions (such as sadness or the fear of being alone), robs people of other wonderful emotions such as joy and happiness.
Living in new york and such a technologically "plugged in" job - ive really seen this to be true. I want to work on recognizing and accepting myself and what I'm feeling, without needing to turn to my phone / tv / computer.
Also below is a great conversation with one of my favorite authors on this same topic during an interview she had in the 1980's with Phil Donahue.
Donahue: " I remember when I was little and I would see ball player's get his by a pitch, they would run to first base and never rub their arms, never touch it. And I always used to think, oh boy is he strong."
Ayn Rand: "Yes and it's a sort of weakness really, not strength. Because the strong man doesn't mind showing his true feelings: unhappy ones, or pain, or enthusiasm, or pride. But in trying to appear strong, most men lose the pleasure of truly enjoying themselves and their achievements."
What do you think? Do you agree? Are you aware of your feeling or do you catch yourself repressing unpleasant feelings? Just psychobabble?
To end on a more upbeat note, here are a few other hilarious clips by Louis CK in case you're interested:

No comments:
Post a Comment